Monday, June 05, 2006

Would you call?

It is about 2/3 of the way through the 200k satellite on Full Tilt. I have about 3500 in chips, putting me in the middle of the pack. My table is feeling rather tight now.

I get 4 4 UTG. I raise to 420 (60/120 blinds). Guy on my left re-raises to 1000. It is 580 to call.

Do you call?

I did. Flopped a full house to crack his kings. I checked, he pushed, his chips come to me.

I then hear for the next 15 minutes what a bad play it was. I am not saying it was a stellar move, but I figured I was getting close to 3 to 1 to see a flop. If I hit it, I win a huge pot. If not, I have 2500 to work with and plenty of time.

So who wouldn't call there?

7 comments:

Wes said...

I would not, but I suck at tournaments.

TechGuyTom said...

As a general rule I would not make this call. Were missing the info on how many chips your opponent has or how he's been playing up to this point...but your a coin flip at best and your going to put in almost 1/3 your chips preflop to catch an 8:1 draw. From your explanation though you were willing to gamble it up with plenty of time left so screw what anyone else thinks.

CJ said...

Yeah, it was a gamble... sometimes you get a feeling and you have to go with it.

I likely would have limp-called pre-flop. I'm generally willing to risk about a 10th of my stack with a small pocket pair as long as I have at least 10xBB.

With the re-raise, I likely lay my hand down in that case. The call was a gamble... you weren't priced in.

Did that make it "wrong?" Not necessarily. You have to take a shot in tournaments at times. You did, and it paid off big.

That all said, I fold there.

StB said...

My opponent had about 3700, just 200 more than I and was playing rather tight. I guess with his tight play I should have read him for a big hand but read him for a strong ace, not a big pair.

9 out of 10 times, I do fold there.

Later on, those pocket 4s would win me a huge pot when I bluffed by firing all 3 bullets.

StB said...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Unknown said...

Call. As long as his chip stack is equal or greater in size to yours for the implied odds of hitting your set.

If doesn't have at least 2K+ in chips, I'd fold.

The Bracelet said...

I would have been out of the tourney already so it wouldn't have mattered.

But had I put myself in that exact position to call, I would have done so with the hopes of him having a big pair or big ace, me hitting trips, and him giving me all his money.

It's how I like to roll.