Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Focus

I haven't played much poker over the last couple of days. Been busy with other things and lacked any real interest in hunkering down. You know how it is, if your mind isn't in the game, your money won't be in your roll much longer. What little poker I did play was at the Razz tables where I eked out small gains in short sessions.

I am still wrestling with focus. Do I want to focus on tournament play or get my ring game back in shape? What is the goal, to play better poker or to build the bankroll higher? Yeah, better poker will lead to the higher bankroll. But you can get a higher bankroll by playing tournaments instead of grinding it out on the ring games.

Thus to get some focus back, I am looking at doing two things. I am going back to my roots. When I started tracking what I was doing a year ago, I had deposited $100 to play just SnGs. I did well with it and worked to over $5k by the end of the year when I expanded to other games. Lately, another blogger (my apologies to whoever thought this up. Let me know who you are and I will give you credit) wrote about managing money so they could enter a WSOP event come summertime. They talked about playing SnGs and separating a portion of their winnings out towards that goal. I have decided to follow the path.

I figure to still play MTT as well, but will begin to work in more cash SnGs along the way. I am going to start with $10 tables first, with the goal of working up to the $20s. I have always had success at the $10 level, but not quite as much at $20. I figure I will play at least 5 of the smaller entry before hopping up to the higher level. I will post results after 10 are done. This time I will actually record results rather than just watching a bankroll level.

What I haven't decided is where to play yet. It is between PokerStars and PokerRoom. Difference is playing a 9 or 10 person table. PStars seems softer so I am leaning that way.

The goal is to earn enough to enter a nice sized tournament. If I stay focused, I am confident I can get there.

4 comments:

Heavy Critters said...

I use Holdempoker.com (Poker Room skin), and the tables are really soft there. I've always been under the impression that Poker Stars isn't as soft as Poker Room. I've done MUCH better in my SNG and tourney play at Holdem, even though they don't have the nifty giveaways.

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

I know this might sound stupid. But I always play well after a good massage. Serious...spend the 20.00 bucks and you will be able to play all weekend well. I know it sounds lame, but a good quiet massage just really lets you relax...get a good chair and sit with the intention of playing sound and getting locked in.

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

I'm so sure about this that I'm willing to send you the money for your first one...not on in some cheap china-town...yanky the wanky type place...a good professional massage for 1/2 an hour...I think about 20-30 bucks and if your wins don't better the price of the rubdown...it's on me.

Anonymous said...

Starting this weekend. Am going to try the same plan 50 sng's

from a reader fan below you in Racine