Wednesday, March 09, 2005

New book

I bought a new poker book the other day. Win Your Way Into Big Money Hold'em Tournaments by Tom McEvoy and Brad Daugherty. It is about playing satellites. Since I enjoy tournament play, I thought this might help me learn to adjust my game for both SnGs and multis.

I ripped through half of the book and found most of it disappointing. While some may find the history of the satellite and variations interesting, I was looking for strategy. Too many times I have been in the money with barely a chance to move higher. I realized I am rarely in a position to win. This book may not get me into that spot, but I figured it could help.

I skipped over the limit section preferring to read the no limit. So far it gives some basic ideas but nothing unique. If you do not know about betting for information to see where you stand, or limping from the button and betting a flopped ace, then you probably never came close to winning a tournament.

I put the book down just before I reached the meat I was looking for. Advice on playing each level. I hope it gets better. Otherwise I may be selling it on Ebay or giving it away. I guess I should have gone with my gut and went with an older book about tournament play.

No comments: