Monday, March 21, 2005

Quarter review

It was just about 3 months ago that I hopped back into playing poker online. On December 28th I deposited $100 into Firepay with the idea of playing 9 SnGs as an experiment to test my skills. Today, my bankroll stands just north of $550. It isn't a staggering sum by any means. I don't claim to dominate any game. But I would have to say that I am proud of where I stand right now.

A good chunk came from two free roll victories as of late. The other being SnGs. That seems to be my strength. Playing against 8 or 9 other players, or even 17 on the two table games, which I have done well with also.

Lately I have been playing the limit ring games with not as much success. I wouldn't be shocked to see if overall I am down playing limit. Not by much though. I went on a bad run playing 1/2 at Poker Mountain. But have been doing well playing .5/1 at Full Tilt.

I have noticed how many players will find it extremely hard to fold their pocket pairs. There are a lot of players that will call down and pay you off with any pair.

The ones that amuse me the most of the people who slow play in limit. About a month ago, I was struggling with limit and did what most people do when they aren't playing well. I grabbed SuperSystem and read the limit section again. Doyle points it out that in limit, you play strong hands and play them hard. The point is to build a pot. Same thing is said by Phil Hellmuth. So it cracks me up when some joker goes and just calls your bet and then decides to check-raise you on the river with his A A. I see this again and again. How many bets do they leave off the table? Especially when there are usually 4 or 5 to a flop. Do they have any idea how much more they could have made on these pots, that is if they are winning them. If there is a reason to slow play in limit, I would like to know. Maybe if only 2 players see the flop?

I like to think that I have learned quite a bit about poker over the last year. During the last 3 months, I have been able to put it to use. There is still a lot more to learn. I see some areas of my game that I need to improve on and others that I feel really good about. One of them being reading what other players have.

I am trying formulate some goals for the rest of the year. I would like to see my bankroll at least hit the $1000 mark. I would like to think that may be easy considering the first 3 months but that would be too presumptuous.

I want to win a multi. A big multi with over 300 players. The buy in doesn't matter. I want to cash in some good coin and take one down. And then maybe down the line start playing in some super satellites to have a chance at a WPT or WSOP event. That would be the big goal. Something to build up to.

Of couse, winning a WPBT event would be beyond words.

As I think about it, I believe my couse of action is to start playing a couple of 2 or 3 table SnGs to develop my game a bit more. I will play some limit to work off some bonuses as well as get myself ready for Vegas in June. I will also plan to play at least one multi a week. Where, I do not know yet. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I look forward to the next couple of months being a good as the first quarter.

2 comments:

Dr. Pauly said...

Nice recap. Good luck next Q!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I've got an online poker site covering playing strategies with some original articles related to poker odds that the visitors to your blog may find interesting - here's an article extract:

Poker Psychology - Adopt the Right Mindset for Huge Profits!
Poker psychology is the key to becoming a good or even great poker player. Let's first of all define what the word psychology actually means ...


poker odds


Thanks